In response to the demand from the film production market, log video recording (V-Log L) is now available for the LUMIX GH4, and offers exceptional flexibility as well as wider dynamic range for color grading in post-production process. V-Log / V-Log L were developed to feature similar characteristics to Cineon, which is a characteristic curve for film digitalization. Taking full advantage of Four Thirds sensor, V-Log L boasts a log characteristic with 12 stops. Both V-Log and V-Log L have the same characteristic curve, and LUT (Look Up Table) can be utilized.
V-Log L update can be purchased at you Local LUMIX Pro dealer or directly from Panasonic online HERE
- Purchase the key code kit DMW-SFU1 from this page. This is not for immediate download, as its kit that will be shipped to you.
- Update a fully charged LUMIX GH4 with firmware Version 2.4 from the Global Joint Update Service. Click here to download.
- Export the camera’s serial number to an SD Memory Card by inserting the SD card into the camera and press [Menu] -> [Setup] -> [Activate] -> [Export Serial Code] to save serial code as “SERIAL.LST” file.
- Upload the SERIAL.LST file by inserting the SD card into your computer. From the Update Portal Web Page use BROWSE to find and select “SERIAL.LST” file on the SD card. “SERIAL.LST” is saved in folder of PRIVATE > PANA_GRP > PAVC > LUMIX > ACTV > “SERIAL.LST then press [Upload] to proceed.
- Input “Key Code” from the kit you purchased in “Upgrade Software Key” to this website to get activation code. [ Alphabet on key code must be big letter to input. Please be careful with misspelling such as 1 (one ) and I ( big letter of “i”) or 0 (zero) and O ( big letter of “o”) Please input key without hyphen (-). ] Click Register
- ACTIVE.LST should auto download from the site. Save this file to the SD card in the folder PRIVATE > PANA_GRP > PAVC > LUMIX > ACTV .
- Insert the SD card into the same fully charged LUMIX GH4 and press [Menu] -> [Setup] -> [Activate] -> [Import Activation Code]
- When prompted power cycle the camera. You will find your new V-LOG L feature under the Menu “Photo Style”.
CAUTION – USE OF VERSION 2.3 FIRMWARE WORK AROUND:
Many thanks to those who have recently purchased the LUMIX GH4 V-Log L upgrade. We are aware of an oversight in our Panasonic Image App which allows enabling of V-Log L as a “custom” setting without purchase. This was not our intent, and our apologies for the oversight. We appreciate the many messages of support for the continuing development of innovative new products and features, and Panasonic intends to stand behind your investment in V-Log L and the LUMIX GH4. Therefore, it’s important to know that future LUMIX GH4 firmware upgrades, including mobile app upgrade pushes, will disable unlicensed activations of V-Log L. In addition, it’s Panasonic’s service policy to upgrade firmware during warranty claims, thereby eliminating unlicensed features. Thank you again for your continued support of Panasonic and the LUMIX G camera system and innovations yet to come.
Use of the V-LOG L workaround associated with the previously released firmware Version 2.3 runs the risk of the Zebra Function not working and the Histogram reading improperly.